Monday, February 29, 2016

Politics, Shakespeare, Decency, and Legacy

I don't usually do politics on my blog because I don't want to sacrifice the eternal for the temporary. That said, there are times when we must speak to the issues facing us. Now is one of those times.

This may not count for a whole lot, but I can certainly say that I will not vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016 or any other year. She has character flaws that make her the Lady MacBeth of America. On the other hand, I can also safely say that I will not be voting for Donald Trump in 2016 or any other year. He has no decency. I will not "vote with my middle finger" because, very simply, a decision made out of anger is always regrettable and usually without a fair appraisal of what one gets in the trade.

Carolyn Kaster/Associated Press
My dream candidate is Dr. Ben Carson, who, if the Republicans had the wisdom in 2008, would likely be ending his second term as President instead of Obama. In that year, the Republicans, Lincoln's party, would have reaffirmed their precious legacy by nominating the first black candidate for a major party. Now, if the Republicans choose Carson, they will just look like they're late to the party.

Carson reflects a lot of what I believe and he has the wisdom that few politicians have. He's not shrewd or manipulative, and he is a patriot. He's not as green as I would prefer, but he is still a breath of fresh air that we all could use. Short of running for office myself, which I've contemplated as all patriots should, Carson is the closest match.

I want Carson. I hope for Carson. I pray for Carson. Whether that's what God wants, I have yet to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment